The holiday shopping season has just arrived, and unfortunately, it is always a peak time for crimes to occur, particularly home burglaries. I want to share some valuable tips that can help prevent you from becoming the victim of a crime during the holidays. It is very important that we always maintain our defenses on high alert.
* Be extra cautious and lock your doors and windows at all times. Don't display gifts and other valuables near windows or doorways where they can be seen.
* If you go out in the evening, leave at least one light on and a radio or television so the house looks occupied.
* Invest in an automatic timer for your lights. Ask a neighbor or trusted friend to watch your house and perhaps park their car in your driveway from time to time.
* Contact the post office and request your mail not be delivered during the days you will be away. Your carrier will deliver your "held" mail upon your return or you may choose to pick it up at your designated post office branch.
* Newspaper deliveries should also be placed on hold while you are away so that they do not pile up and alert passersby that your house is unoccupied.
* After Christmas when the gifts have been unwrapped, break down the boxes and fold them so as the words are on the inside. Don't put the boxes "as is" out on the curb for the trash collectors as this just advertises your newly acquired electronics and other valuables that are now in your home.
We wish you and your family a safe and wonderful holiday season.
Tips provided through the courtesy of the Miami Dade State Attorneys Office